Monday, March 16, 2009

Terezin



It's a whole town. A town where just 50 years ago, Jews from all around Bohemia and Moravia were deported to. Our tour guide was a very cute old man who has survived Terezin and Auchwitz. He had escaped four times throughout the war and seen many of his family members perish. It didn't even seem to bother him when we walked by the cemetery near the crematorium and he said casually, "o, by the way, my mother is buried in one of these two mass graves...i don't know which one."
This man has had a book written about his story and also testified for the Spielberg foundation. I can't remember his name right now but Andrew bought the book...so i'll let you know later...
Anyway...we ate lunch at this place called memorial restaurant which we were told after was a building where a massacre of Jews occurred.
We toured the museum barracks and saw exhibitions on the art and theater and music of Terezin.

I am doing a paper for one of my classes on the comparison between Terezin and Lodz in Poland...so I'll have more info on Terezin to share once I start that.

No comments:

Post a Comment